Friday, February 6, 2009

Inspired and making progress

I finally figured out how to search Blogspot for blogs like mine, and I pretty much spent all day yesterday doing that! I was so inspired by everyone that I have been doing better ever since. I do not want to be a whiner. I want to have one of those blogs that inspires others. But at the same time, I want to be real about it because I suspect there are plenty of former bulimics who have found themselves with a weight problem they aren't sure how to tackle in a health-affirming way. After being so messed up, it isn't easy. I guess with me the key is to saturate myself in literature and personal experiences so that I constantly feel inspired to make good choices. Isn't that much nicer than relying on diet rules and sheer willpower?

I went to Whole Foods and got some pre-cut fruit. It's expensive, but if I just keep at it for a week or so, I should be in the habit of eating more fruit by then. A few extra bucks to ingrain a healthy habit? Priceless.

Yay, my first comment! Shoutout to Sher Khan over at http://longliveandprosper.blogspot.com/. I am feeling very optimistic today. I finally just told my husband that I needed his help for a few days to get me started. I was having a hard time getting up early enough to work out and told him last night that today I would do it. He was planning on getting up a little before me and then making sure I got up to exercise. Well, as it turned out, I woke up with his first alarm, but he kept hitting snooze. I lazed around for a while, and used him not waking up as an excuse to not work out. Then I sat on the bed and talked with him. The point is, I usually find myself getting upset that he didn't help me, and blame my failure on him. But I caught myself this time. I told him "You're using me as an excuse not to get up, and I'm using you as an excuse not to work out, so I'll just leave the room and get rid of both excuses." And I got up and got ready and had a great workout! Yay for me! I guess I don't need as much help as I thought!

I was feeling so optimistic that I decided to check the scale even though I usually only check it once a month. Um, bad idea. I had a gain of 1.5 pounds! I just have to tell myself that it is highly unlikely that I actually gained 1.5 pounds of fat in 2 weeks of trying to eat healthy and exercise. Sure, I might not have lost any, but it's really unlikely that I had 5,000 extra calories or however many it takes to gain 1.5 pounds of fat. Right? Right. Maybe one step back means next I'll get two steps forward? So from now on, to avoid unnecessary freakouts, I will only weigh in monthly.

Just FYI for the ladies, you are at your skinniest a day or two after the last day of menstruation. When I was maintaining around 150, I would only weigh in first thing in the morning on that day every month, and my weight stayed remarkably consistent. This is a good antedote to the frustrating "I gained 2 pounds today!" scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!